Friday, August 14, 2009

Wait 'til next year...

"Alright, Mr. Jones, I'll be there," said Tamara.

She then walked out of my classroom after 2nd period, and
I haven't seen her since.

Just to remove any doubt, Tamara hasn't had anything tragic happen to
her -- not in a CTU-Jack-Bauer crisis kind of way. Tamara came into my
geometry class this past spring as one of the most naturally talented,
mathematically gifted students I have ever taught. Algebra came easily
to her, and she had no problem applying it to concepts like
supplementary angles and congruent line segments... even after missing
the first week of classes. To put that in perspective, I teach in a
four-period block school, so she actually missed the equivalent of ten
standard classes.

After two weeks of relatively steady attendance, Tamara started missing
about two days of class per week. Later she was missing three,
sometimes four, classes per week. About six weeks into the semester, I
pulled Tamara aside to talk to her about her slipping grades and
attendance.

"Tamara, somehow you're still holding down a B average on your tests,
but your missing homework grades are going to start affecting your
performance. I mean, you're not getting to practice to new concepts,
either in class or at home."

Tamara gave a reluctant smile. "I know, Mr. Jones... it's just that I
had a baby this past Christmas, and most days I can't get anyone to
watch her. I can only come to school when my mom can get off of work."

What do you say to that?

I tried.

"Tamara, based on your raw talent for math, you can still
make it in this class. I think you're looking at a possible 'B'. A 'C'
is more likely, but I just want you to know your range."

"I know... I've always been good at math. I really want to make this
work," Tamara replied.

"Here's my offer," I said. "If you can make it to at least two days of
school per week, I'll make sure I stay after school with you every day
that you come in order to catch you up on what you miss."

"Okay."

"If you can do that... well, I can't make any guarantees, but you're
smart enough to make it. Can you be here on Thursday, in class and
after school?", I finished.

"Alright, Mr. Jones, I'll be there."

No comments:

Post a Comment