Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ready, Set, Inspire!

Every year around this time I climb treacherous mountains, cross over frigid rivers, dig deep into the dark ocean floors and wrestle large fanged animals to discover the secrets of life to inspire my students. Consequently, quotes from Nelson Mandela, Albert Einstein, and even from the depths of my own soul - appropriately signed as anonymous - have gone up on my classroom walls in the hopes of catapulting my students into a working frenzy straight out of the gate in early  Septembers.  However, it seems that I often only manage to baffle the young minds of the South Bronx leaving them confused and lost up on the treacherous mountains, frozen in frigid rivers and ocean floors, and trapped in the death grips of large fanged animals.


For instance, I challenged my students last year with "The  greatest weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Thinking it would stir up passion, a positively directed anger if you will, and motivate them to work hard I mustered up all my creative energy to design and display it above the front board.  Needless to say, it was almost entirely lost on them.  And despite my efforts to revive the life of the quote throughout the year, its corners began to peel off the wall from humidity, and the once bright colors slowly faded.  Thanks Crayola Classic Markers!   


I do believe that an effective quote can have many entry points into our students' lives and have great impact in their paths to success, both academically and beyond.  Everything that goes up on my classroom walls, with the exception of last year's quote, is interactive and referenced constantly.  They have purpose.  

So today, I desperately reach out to you for inspiration that I may forward it to my students via my classroom wall.  Please submit motivational quotes and sayings (in the comments section) that you think will stimulate and motivate my 15 year old students.  Quotes should be simple, catchy, and meaningful.  You may also provide a brief explanation of the quotes superiority if you'd like.  I will display the winning quote in my classroom by the first day of school (September 8th), take a picture of it, and give you mad props on a future post.  I look forward to hearing from you!   
 
 

1 comment:

  1. "The highest result of education is tolerance"
    Helen Keller

    ReplyDelete